The village’s old school is a Victorian building built in 1874 which educated children until the age of eleven. Education was first promoted in Marden in 1610 by the generosity of a wealthy widow, Jane Shelly. She established an educational foundation with the object of assisting poor and needy children. Children today still benefit from the trust she founded. The old thatched school house, now privately owned, can still be seen at the Sutton Walls approach to the village.
The current primary school was opened in 1994 and the complex incorporates the village community centre, which provides the village with facilities for local social activities. In January 2014 the primary school gained its academy status.